Laos is poetically known as 'the land of a million elephants' and one of south-east Asia's most enchanting countries; eye-wateringly beautiful and boasts a rich embroidery of traditional culture and wondrous scenery. If you want to tread a path less travelled, this charming country is the perfect destination. Meet warm, friendly people, see fabulous sights and taste mouth-watering local cuisine. Laidback Laos is easy to explore but difficult to leave.
- Belmond La Residence Phou Vao, Luang Prabang *****
- Ansara Hotel, Vientiane ****
- Maison Souvannaphoum, Luang Prabang ****1/2
- Settha Palace. Vientiane *****
- Villa Maly, Luang Prabang ****
- Luang Prabang sits at the confluence of the Mekong and Nam Khan rivers. Discover its diverse architecture, historic temples and charming old French mansions.
- Sleepy capital city Vientiane is home to ornate temples and colonial-influenced architecture.
- The Plain of Jars is a fascinating area of rolling fields, where hundreds of huge stone jars lay scattered across the landscape.
- Visit the limestone caves of Pak Ou, many encased with images of Buddha.
- Laos' remote northern provinces lie close to the borders of China, Thailand and Vietnam, and are home to minority groups still living traditional ways of life from centuries past.